Monday, 5 January 2009

204 November - The Unknown Warrior - war and how it can affect our own

From: rona  (Original Message) Sent: 12/11/2004 5:08 p.m.
Yesterday, Terri and I sat and watched the service and interment of the Unknown Warrior.  I wished that I could have been in Wellington yesterday to actually be there, and absorb the atmosphere that surrounded the crowds of people who were there to pay their respects.  However, watching it on TV, was just as moving and emotional, for me, more so I think because camera angles gave a better "picture" overall of some of the events as they were happening.  It was a rather sombre, dignified affair, full of all the pomp and paegentry that goes along accordingly with such an event; with the weather adding the final touch of solemnity to the whole day.
 
I sat and thought of all our whanau, be they husbands, fathers, uncles cousins, sons, friends, and how lucky we all were that they came home.  I certainly felt for those who told there stories of those who didn't return.  I thought of my own son, who would've been the age of those who left our shores to fight a war, and cried; so lucky that I don't (hopefully) ever have to go through the agony of sending him off to some far flung place never for him to return. 
 
For those who had such a thing happen, yesterday would have brought to them some sort of closure.  Hoping that inside that coffin was their loved one.  A moving and beautiful ceremony.
 
Rona

No comments: