Wednesday, 7 January 2009

2003 April - Greetings from California - memories of visiting NZ, by Sherrie

From: Sherrie  (Original Message) Sent: 26/04/2003 7:27 a.m.
Just a quick note to thank you Margret for the great job you are doing with this website, it really bridges the miles and keeps us up to date with the pictures. Wonderful to hear about Kingi's high-flying achievements, and we are so proud of Aynsley as she carries on with college. I don't have regular access to a computer, so by the time I am (Pictured: Fraser Lodge, Rangi and Sherrie Fenton and Courtney and Keegan Lodge) writing this message, I hope Brenda that you are feeling much better on the road to a record-breaking and full recovery. It was so lovely to see all the relatives while at the reunion, and friends who we also consider family. Jack and Mari, so glad to finally meet you and confirm what Roger has told me for years about what a beautiful couple you are. Meeting Aunty Ruby was a special highlight for me, what a genuinely sweet lady, to me she embodies New Zealand in a special way. And of course all the special times Rog and I got to spend with Hip, he is such an incredible man. Thank you Mona, for the accomodations at your home and as always the cooking. Thank you Val and Malcom for showing us your beautiful new home, and letting us steal your kids for a day of silliness in New Plymouth. Seeing Dennis Patuwairua again and his family, as well as all the cousins and their families was also special, and I think that we can all be proud of the great kids we have raised who are the future, they are our family's greatest treasure, each and every one. On this particular trip, it was more like going home than visiting relatives, as I have had a chance to build some history with the family over our several visits. The hospitality, warmth and kindness was appreciated, beginning in Herald Island where the Margret & Richard, Kingi and Aynsley, Darryn and Julie helped us forget about our jet-lag! We love you all and are looking forward to another visit when we can!

3 comments:

Mrs Margret said...

From: Margret Sent: 26/04/2003 2:18 p.m.
Hi from the Herald Islanders.
Good that you put up a message. I am glad that you enjoyed the reunion. Meeting relatives is the reunion aim and Trish ensured that it happened and so many of us are very pleased. When Roger put up the photos of the trip you had with the Lodge kids in New Plymouth at the Akmon's, I had to think laterally, and figured out that it wasn't a name from outer space but for concrete barriers. Right??
Brenda can see any messages direct to her via her email or else for others to be stimulated by click on one of the Love to Brenda messages already on the Discussion Board, select Reply, and you can add on to the original and the add-on's.
In Australia, Jo-Ann, daughter of Mari and Jack, is taking a bunch of them to see the movie, 'Whalerider'. I still want to re-see it. I loaned the book of it to the librarian and both she and her husband read it and its now gone to the neighbour's daughter this morning. I did something strange, I walked down to the Herald Island library, no driving!!
School on Monday. Too soon. Pam Eriwata arrives tomorrow from an overnighter in Brisbane, in fact she will visit with her brother, John, who lives about two miles from where Mari and Jack live. Pam will overnight here too and then off to Waitara the next afternoon's plane.
Where are you working as a certified Pratt and Whitney aircraft engineer?
Tell Roger that his new job of problem solving and being appreciated for his talent is very pleasing to read.
Happy birthday wishes going off belated to Rangi.
I hope that some NZ company will make Aussie biscuits for me.
Love from Margret and the MARK4 Brands even if Aynsley is flatting bigtime

Mrs Margret said...

From: Jack and Mari Sent: 27/04/2003 8:30 p.m.
Well done to our Californian Family,a lovely message from Sherrie,we fully agree with you all the way.Margret's website just goes from strength to strength and is building the real Family Bond with messages flashing from Aotearoa to America and Australia,bringing us all closer to each other,"keeping the dream alive"It really is such a pleasure having so many loving Cousins keeping in touch,lots of love to you all,Mari

Mrs Margret said...

From: Sherrie Sent: 30/04/2003 3:40 p.m.
Hi, Margret,

I should follow your example and walk to the library by my house, but they only have four computers and usually an hour wait, so I drive to the college instead. I just checked out the skydiving pics, wow, that's just outrageous. I think Kingi just watched too many James Bond movies when he was younger! Rangi is a great James Bond fan now. A P&W engineer? I don't think the industry's ready for me to be designing aircraft yet! But I finally enrolled in my training class in July, on engine troubleshooting. I found out from the training department, that my prize doesn't include transportation or lodging, bummer! So I will have to explore budget airfares and see if it is possible to double up with someone over in Minnesota.

Just a few weeks left of Air Cargo Mgmt and Gateways to Teaching, then June and July off from school. Rangi and I would like to drive up to see the girls in June. I'm looking for work now, and will see if anything comes up. By the way, Tommy Freakley called from Australia a few nights ago, a total surprise. Rog was buying car parts, so I got to hear about his job in New Guinea and the work he's doing now. He's so fun to talk to. Rog called him back when he got home to get caught up on his end. I told Tommy about the website and hope he was able to get through.

Anytime you want more toaster biscuits, just send more tea and they'll be on their way! If they start making them over there, how will we get our tea? Take care and give our love to all. Sherrie